Academic Support Center
The Academic Support Center (ASC) is designed to help students with diverse learning needs. Full-time credentialed educational specialists and teachers are available to work with students individually and in small groups. The staff also assists faculty in integrating teaching strategies beneficial to students with diverse learning needs.
- To provide ASC students with additional academic support (ie 1-to-1 tutoring, small group tutoring sessions, supervised homework study groups) in the Cardinal Newman High School college preparatory environment.
- To coordinate with and educate classroom teachers to help understand and teach to the specific learning needs of identified students and provide instructional methodology to the faculty.
- To guide each student towards maximizing their potential while developing necessary learning skills, compensation strategies to succeed independently and develop self-advocacy techniques and skills.
- To develop individual learning plans incorporating both accommodations and study strategies.
- To provide Counselors and Teachers a profile of the student learning.
- To provide support for students to become lifelong learners while achieving academic success.
- To assist in researching support services at the college level.
Examples of Service Provided in The ASC
- Advise and assist students as they encounter potential academic obstacles
- Create and explain individual learning profiles
- Collaborate with classroom teachers to discuss the individual needs of ASC students
- Give instruction in study skills, independent learning strategies, and self advocacy
- Provide guidance with long-term projects
- Allow opportunities to study in groups and collaborate with other students
- Proctor tests and exams with extended time
- Assist in obtaining extended time for standardized testing
- Assist in researching support services at the college level
- Provide referrals for psycho-educational evaluations
**In order for students to receive services, they must submit Academic Support Center application through the Cardinal Newman website. Additionally, psychological evaluations must be up to date; meaning, administered within the past three years. Students who do not have up-to-date evaluations will not be provided with accommodation plans or assistance from the ASC. Please contact Kristina Davison for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org